Monday, March 26, 2007

Another day in La Javia

Today Amber and I began our final project for praxis. We are creating a documentary video which will hopefully capture la realidad of life in La Javia, Tepecoyo, especially for the children we work with. It was a really powerful day of interviews. We visited who a woman who shared her story and about her son. Her son, age 24, has been missing for over a month now. She does not know whether he is dead or alive. It was almost unbearable to listen to her story as her other children sat around her and the tears dripped from her swollen eyes. At the end of the interview all she could say was "gracias, gracias a ustedes." She was just so happy that we were there and cared enough to take down her story and share in the "tristeza" sadness of her life. It was such a beautiful and heartwrenching experience.
Life her continues at a torrid pace. I have to read 2 books and write a paper this week, and I have a spanish presentation tomorrow which I haven't really started. Sometimes I forget I'm actually in school.
Romero's anniversary was this past weekend. We all participated in a great celebration and memorial march downtown. It was really energizing and reminded me of why I am here and my call to living a life of peace, justice, and solidarity. Thank you all for your continued love and support!

6 comments:

AJ said...

i have a feeling your spanish is going to be massively better than mine, pero no me importa (mucho)... i think i´ve learned quite a bit. i can´t believe we´re getting down to the final weeks down here - the time just FLIES! espero que tengas una semana buena y nos vemos en mayo, güey. no te preocupes que no me comunicas mucho - ¡es igual para mi! :)

Anonymous said...

As you described the video you are making I cannot help but think "what a leap from your Spanish video at St. X!" And what a deepening and humanizing experience. What a gift you were able to give her, just to hear her, and what a gift her story is to you. Universal truth.

neto said...

Thanks Patrick for Helping my people!!

Anonymous said...

Hey friend- can't wait to hear more about the video. i'm missing el salvador almost as much as im missing you.

Anonymous said...

Son, you make me so proud. Good luck handling all that work. It's so good that in the midst of it all you can remember the deeper, truer things: the tears of a woman grieving for her son, Romero's legacy, etc. Keep on keeping on, son. Hugs,

Anonymous said...

patrick i haven't commented in forever..but i thought of you on st. patrick's day when i didn't have you around to celebrate our "unofficial" birthdays! i miss you!