Thursday, March 22, 2007

Honduras y más






Copan ruinas







Roatan beach at West End









Crazy ant eater friend from the jungle









chillin by the river




First I would like to apologize for the long awaited update from Honduras. Spring break was incredible. We started the week at the ruins of Copán. We toured the ruins and visited some hotsprings. We then traveled east to the island of Roatan. We stayed in a great backpackers hostel right on the beach. We snorkeled and went on a boat tour. The island is basically paradise and meets the standards of any Caribbean island you´ve ever seen in photographs. Then we went to La Ceiba on the mainland to Pico Bonito national forest. While there we stayed in an amazing jungle lodge over looking a roaring whitewater river. We went rafting, ziplining through the jungle, and played with their pet anteater. The whole trip was like a dream come true. I really love living out of my backpack, traveling, and meeting great people along the way.
This week, coming back to the reality of El Salvador, has been really hard. I feel like I left myself in Honduras and I´m just now starting to catch up to myself. The time we have here is already waning and we are all getting worried about final projects and making connections before it´s too late. I have to keep reminding myself to live in the moment and experience everything that I can. This weekend is the anniversary of Monseñor Romero´s death. We will participating in a great remembrance celebration along with thousands of Salvadorans. I really excited to be a part of this celebration. Tomorrow we are meeting with ex-ambassador to El Salvador, Robert White. This will be a unique opportunity to see into the workings of American politics in El Salvador during the civil war.
I have been horrible at keeping up correspondence; I apologize. If you would like a postcard please send me your address because I don't really have any one's here. Finally, I would like to throw a shout out to my dad who's birthday is tomorrow! ¡Feliz Cumpleaños!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! So good to hear your news and see a few pix. I'm sure it is all accelerating like crazy now as you are into the last 7 weeks. Remember to breath! And remember we love you so much!!

Perry Avery said...

All of those facts are hard to comprehend. The fact that such social injustice is going on in such a beautiful country (wonderful pics)is horrible. It looks like you are having a lot of fun in El Salvador... Makes me want to take a trip down there myself. How long are you staying down there for? I am currently involved in a country study of El Salvador and would would love to talk more about your experiences.

If you have any free time my Email is pavery63@mercyhurst.edu

Cara said...

hey great blog. see you for dinner.

Anonymous said...

Patrick! hope all is going well. i'm glad your break was so amazing. but i must admit I'm a little disappointed you left out the story you told on the ubuntu blog. We definitely miss you here. I keep getting increasingly excited for next year.

peace,
Julie