Tuesday, February 20, 2007

El Volcán

So this weekend was pretty awesome. First, on Friday, we went to watch El Salvador play Costa Rica. It was my first soccer game outside of the US and it was INSANE. I really could not believe it. Some of our friends got beer and pee sprayed on them because they were Gringos. They were also sitting in the cheap $3 seats whereas I shelled out for the $9 seats...good choice. Second, on Saturday we drove out to the western part of the country to climb the Volcano Izalco. It was very gruelling but worth the view. We hiked all the way to the top and even went down into the crater. Yesterday at praxis we did more house visits but only 4 instead of 9, which is utterly gruelling. Tomorrow we are teaching more English, but I am excited because we had a workshop on Sunday on how to teach English to kids. I´m pumped to try out the new techniques. And we now have a pisara, or whiteboard to write on during class. And we got internet on one of the computers in Tepecoyo. I´m going to make a blog for the kids so stay posted!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Volcano Man,

I heard you lost some flesh hiking on that volcanic rock...not too bad, I hope. Exploring a volcano -- amazing!!!

Here's a new wrinkle: St. X is VERY ACTIVELY looking for adult chaperones for their Peru trip. Starts in mid-June, ends in early July (not sure of the exact dates). Pays at least $1000 and all your expenses. They're having a really tough time finding chaperones this year, according to Matt Kemper. I know you're planning on working and living in Chicago this summer, but I thought you might want to entertain this possibility. Apparently it's not just being a chaperone, but helping to process the experience, etc. I think you'd be absolutely outstanding at this. If you're interested, give me a call, since they're pretty anxious to find the help. I talked this over with Nick after the two of you spoke about it, and he said after thinking about it that it could be really cool to have you there -- especially since they need adults to make the trip happen.

Love you, son,

Anonymous said...

It's about damn time you went to a match.

Love,

Edward R.

Anonymous said...

I'm reading An Essay on Liberation by Herbert Marcuse right now. I'm only about 20 pages into the book, but its pretty amazing so far. At the very least, its good enough for me to pull up your blog, see what you're up to, and relay to you the title of a thought provoking read. I liked this quote a lot, and was actually what made me want to share the book with you:

"Prior to all ethical behavior in accordance with specific social standards, prior to all ideological expression, morality is a 'disposition' of the organism, perhaps rooted in the erotic drive to counter aggressiveness, to create and preserve 'ever greater unities' of life. We would then have, this side of all 'values,' an instictual foundation for solidarity among human beings - a solidarity which has been effectively repressed in line with the requirements of class society but which now appears as a precondition for liberation."

Anonymous said...

Patrick,
Have very much enjoyed and appreciated keeping up with you by way of your blog. I pray for you and wish you well.
Love, Aunt Teri

Anonymous said...

Dear Patrick,
You have been on my heart and mind so much. I pray your retreat went well and the transition back to "normal" is okay, too. Nick pointed out it was a bit like taking a retreat from your retreat. I'm glad you have a chance to deal with some of your experiences there while there is still time to absorb the next level.
Take care, son. Love you!!

Unknown said...

OMG i feel you with the whole one day i love el sal and the next i just fucking hate it!!!!

can't wait to hook up so we can share experiences and laughs!

Anonymous said...

me gusto mucho bye