Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Good times in Tepecoyo

Hello all!


So, Monday was by far the best day in Tepecoyo. Two other praxis groups came for a visit so I was able to introduce them to my host family and show everyone where I pass my time on Mondays and Wednesdays. We walked down to the river and took a nice dip in the cold water. In the afternoon we played soccer in the street and climbed mango trees. To top off my fantastic day I received an awesome letter in the mail.
Last weekend we went on an Ignatian silent retreat at Centro Loyola. It was a beautiful location overlooking the city of San Salvador. It was a much needed time to reflect and look ahead to the future. With everything we are going through here it is sometimes hard to make time for reflection.
The violent reality of El Salvador has recently been rearing its ugly head. The assasinations in Guatemala of the Salvadoran diputados and the murderers subsequent assassinations are prime examples of the corruption present throughout this region. There has also been a lot of gang activity. Even though the war has been over for 15 years there is still a war between gangs. Many of the gang members were deported from the US, and the Salvadoran government is just not able to control the violence and corruption. The other day 8 gang members got on a bus and shot a teenage boy in the back of the head 5 times. They all got away. The boy was part of a community near one of our praxis sites. On monday we saw two gang members walking down the street. You can tell because they had their shirts off and were sporting huge tatoos saying ¨MS.¨ Another girl, the niece of one of our friends here, fell from a tree collecting fruit. She later died of complications from her injury. I don´t share these things to scare people. I am not in danger. I just want to share a piece of the reality here. It´s not all coconuts and beach parties.
Speaking of which, this weekend we are heading to Belize for a jungle adventure and also to renew our visas. It´s only 8-10 hours crammed in the Micro all together. Updates soon to follow. Then, next weekend is the start of spring break. I can´t believe it´s already here. We are planning on heading to Hondurus. Any suggestions or things not to miss?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i remembered the name of that volcanic lake- Coatepeque. its like an hour west of San Salvador (i think.)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad your retreat was helpful and you had such a good day on Monday. It is sobering to hear of the gangs and all that. Of course, the Americans are just glad to get rid of troublemakers, and not thinking of the long term effects on the fragile peace there. The news in the states these days has been 8 teens died when a tornado hit their high school and a bus full of college baseball players from near here crashed near Atlanta and there were 6 deaths and numberous injuries. You might be as safe in Central America! Nick is doing a report on Guatemala now and it is sobering history.
I've been missing you a lot this week. Getting to the half-way point of your trip in another week or so and that is generally when I decide I'm "over" it and want you home. : ) I saw Don Miller a bit ago and he was proudly wearing the Loyola shirt you gave him and I had to give the shirt a big hug in your honor. Love you!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Patrick,
Yikes!! It has been 10 days since I heard your voice and now I'm wondering how the weekend in Belize went and if you are home yet. I tried to call but it didn't go through. I've been missing you a lot these days. Hope you are well. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!