Thursday, February 8, 2007

The past few days

So the past week has been a whirlwind. This past weekend I spent in Tepecoyo at the house of Angelica. The weekend was full of lots of walking to people´s houses doing home visits. It was a good experience although I rarely understood everything that was said. We leared how to make tortillas and pupusas. On Sunday we went to mass which was quite different than anything we have in the states. We had to stand for almost 2 hours because there weren´t enough seats for everyone. Oh, and after church I learned how to scale and gut fish...I´m turning into quite the salvadoran chef. There were also a ton of super creepy cockroaches in the house I was staying. The poverty is still overwhelming, which is good. When I start to become to numb I think I´ll need to reevaluate something.
On Monday we didn´t go to praxis but had a day off to recoup from the long weekend. In the late afternoon I received an email from two old Cincinnati CISV compañeros, Mark and Jacob. I had kinda forgotten that they were traveling through Central America and they were expected into San Salvador later that afternoon. A few hours later I received a call from Mark who was down at the UCA. So, the two of them came up to Casa Romero and spent the night. Mark came to Tepecoyo with me on Wednesday and the spent the night again. We played lots of guitar, taught everyone Kittos, and had a great time conversing and catching up. It was so good to have someone from home at the Casa-someone that shares a similar context with me and who was willing to jump right into mine here. I think there is another weekend trip in the works for us adventures. so stay tuned!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Patrick,
I can't believe I've been too busy to reply to Tuesday's entry and there is already another wonderful entry! What a blessing!
I can't tell you how glad I am that you are learning to cook. You know I was hoping for that. And how wonderful that Mark and Jacob came to visit. I was wondering if you will get to see Natalie...
Chelsay came over Tuesday evening because the roads here were really bad at rush hour so she came for dinner and we enjoyed the fireplace and then she braved I-75. Kevin and 4 others were here at Passport Health this morning to get their shots for Engineers Without Borders trip to Kenya. It was great to see each of them. They are keeping up with your blog, too. So many people are reading and sending their prayers.
I won't chatter on and on this time. I love you!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Patrick - Thanks for keeping us all posted on your trip -it's great to read your comments and observations - have a great time!!

Tony & Lynn

AJ said...

when i was in nicaragua, my madre in the campo taught me how to make tortillas and kept yelling at me because i made them too thick - ¨like in el salvador!¨ so, i really hope you´re enjoying your thick and wonderful tortillas! i have masa brosa at my house, so when we´re both home, we should make tortillas!

ps: where will you be living this summer?

Anonymous said...

Hola,
Too funny. I was just searching for Mark and Jacobito's blog and then I found your entry about their visit. I'm glad you guys connected. It's always good to connect with home when you're far from it.

I'm getting ready to go to a CISV leaders' dinner to meet with the new group of leaders. I'm bringing the Num+Jai book. Good memories. You're making some good ones right now. Thinking of you, my friend. Love, Denny

Anonymous said...

Good words.