Wednesday, January 17, 2007

¡Clases mañana!

Tomorrow we begin our first day of class! I´m excited...I think. I´m taking three classes in Spanish: Sociologia, Politica, y español, and two in English, Theology and my praxis class. Today was another long and hot day. We went to more praxis sites to see where people will be placed. We went to Fe y Alegría, a school run by this cute old nun, sister Marcos. We have been making many site visits and I´m really looking forward to getting in something a little more regular. Last night some of us stayed up until about 3am, sitting in the Hammock, listening to the cool breeze blow through our courtyard. (I´m still not sure if staying up until 3 was a good idea or not because now I could easily fall asleep sitting here. I am making some great connections with people and the sprouts of great new friendships are poking their heads. I am not yet accustomed to the many new sights and sounds of San Salvador, to the roaring buses, the car alarms, the roosters crowing, the dogs barking, the latina music blaring, the children laughing, the barbed/razor wire everywhere, the ubiquitous flowers which grow in the most unexpected places, the houses and shacks made of tin and scraps, my dirty feet at the end of the day. Everything is so much more real and in your face. The violence and poverty is real and extreme, but so is the hope and the laughter. Last night we were able to meet with Fr. Dean Brackly S.J. It was so great to finally meet him after so long. I have read a number of his works, and he is such a inspiration to me. He gave us some words of wisdom for the semester and answer questions, except for mine. I asked how we can keep the fire alive when we return to the US and how we can begin to live lives of solidarity. He wouldn´t answer it, and said I would just have to wait. I actually think that´s a pretty good answer. I ok with waiting. I just can´t wait to get some tortillas tonight and relax with my new friends.

Buenas,

patricio

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dad and I just read this together on our way to bed. What a wonderful bedtime story you tell! I love the sounds and sights you describe...
Good luck tomorrow with your classes. You are in our hearts,
always!! Love, Mom and Dad

P.S. Buenos noches, mi hijo. Sleep well...big day tomorrow! M&D

Anonymous said...

Patrick, I'm so glad you having such an amazing time already and to think you just got there! I know this is going to be a great journey for you and I am excited for you! Although I miss you greatly Chicago is cold and lonely without you :) (well it is cold all on its own but you know what i mean) MISS YOU

Anonymous said...

Hi guy,

I was thinking about you all day yesterday as you began your classes en espanol...yikes! Lectures in a foreign tongue!!! I hope your first couple of days were hopeful and challenging but not discouraging. Best of luck and prayers headed your way, as always.

Anonymous said...

I guess you are pretty busy. A few bits of news... Dean's List notification arrived and Dr. Pflum's office called to say your labs were excellent. So... Keep up the good work! You are in our prayers. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Patrick! I am so excited to read your description of El Salvador; just reading it, I feel like I am back there. "Everything is more in your face" is such an apt description. Thanks for writing, and know there are folks back here hanging on your every word. Enjoy the late nights and those pupusas. Try not to breathe too much dust. :) Mary Anne

Anonymous said...

My phone does not ring, so I've swapped with you, but our numbers are saved to the phone rather than the chip so I'm totally confused. I use my old phone for outgoing calls since the numbers are there. And use your phone with my chip for incoming calls. It is confusing, but not as bad as you might think. I don't want to delete any of your numbers, but you might end up with some of my numbers, too. Oh well.

Anonymous said...

Patrick, what a great description of things. Your dad and I can attest to both the grandness and the questionability (is that a word?) of staying up until about 3 in the morning. Back in the day, we all called it "wasting time together" - great community building!

Those earthquakes are something else, aren't they. I've only experienced one, and I don't think it was as big as a 6.2 (maybe a 4.8 and that's a LOT smaller), but it's nervewracking.

I'll check in from time to time - enjoy yourself - Joe M.